Friday, November 11, 2011

Superstitious twitch

I felt my forefinger twitch today. I am not sure if it had anything to do with me being at a job which has me typing and clicking away for most of the day, but it had me curious. So I picked the brains of google and came up with all sorts of ailments that could be related to muscle spasms. The internet must drive hypochondriacs crazy!

My mom would probably have an explanation for it though. Not a medical one, but one more superstitious in nature. Us Nepalis (and people from a lot of other countries too, I'm sure) seem to have explanations ready for any such seemingly innocuous anomalies in our bodies. Fluttering of the left eye versus the right eye could bring you good or bad luck. Those little white marks that would appear on my fingernail foretold possible new additions to my wardrobe in the immediate future.

Ok, I ran out of examples but I'm sure there are plenty more. I wonder what the origins of such superstitions are. And how it spread when it appears to have no practical value.

There's another one I remember that always seemed to happen after family get-togethers. It's not health related, but definitely a superstition. Apparently, it is bad luck to have guests leave for three separate residences at the same time. This has something to do with 3 being an evil number, I suppose. Must be true, if even Shakespeare in Macbeth thinks so!

I don't know how I came to grow out of all the superstitions that surrounded me as a child. Although, I'm sure there are a few that are so ingrained in me, that I don't even think of them as superstitions anymore!

6 comments:

Sleepy Shadow said...

the most interesting superstition was people blowing a gust of air on fingers after touching the throat... i mean, it'd be sensible if you had fired a gun, but fingers? does your throat carry microorganisms that can only be removed by blowing it out?
some people had this crazy urge to blow even when they were not the person owning the throat or the fingers... creepy!

AR said...

haha. i am guilty of that as well! it was a phase in school where everyone was doing it. you instinctively blew at your fingers when you touched your throat, for whatever reason! never had the urge to do it when someone else touched their throat though! :)

iblogshit said...

Lol. I have a cousin who has to do it..orelse he gets so uncomfortable. However in youtube it was one of the things in 'You know u r a Nepali, when...'

Also what abt upside down slippers, wearing your shirt inside out and backside front etc etc..

Nice topic u have touched on.

real estate nepal said...

gooodd

house in kathmandu


real estate nepal said...

nice

Anonymous said...

I ADAMS KEVIN, a representative Aiico Insurance plc, we trust and respect for individual differences in day out a loan. We will provide 2% of the loan's interest rate. If you are interested in this business contact us by e-mail: (adams.credi@gmail.com) now transfer their loan documents issued properly. Do you need a loan to set up business or school if you are very welcome to Aiico Insurance plc. You can also contact us by e-mail: (adams.credi@gmail.com). We first week can request a balance transfer.

DO YOU NEED LOAN FOR PERSONAL BUSINESS? IF YOU CONTACT YOUR EMAIL ABOVE TO PROCEED WITH YOUR LOAN TRANSFER IMMEDIATELY OK.