Tuesday, June 09, 2009

This and that

So I tell my professor that I need to take my exams early since semester at my college begins at the end of August. Final exams here are held in September/October! He says he can do that for exchange students but I need some sort of proof that I'm in fact an exchange student and indeed need to return before August.

I head out to the international department and get a letter explaining my circumstances in German. This morning before handing the letter to my professor I decide to take a look. And it is addressed to the wrong professor! I read on and see that even my name has been spelled incorrectly. And to top it off, the name of my college is inaccurate. I decide to hand it in anyway, and although my professor remarked on the errors, decided it was adequate for the purpose. I was awfully thankful!

Getting things done isn't easy. It took me a few days simply to get the person I was supposed to talk to. Everyone has strict office hours. The staff might be at their offices all day but will only see you from like 9 to 12 for example. It's true for government offices too. You cannot just drop by during working hours. You actually need to check what hours and on what days you can visit the office and work your schedule around it. Sometimes the hours appear very arbitrary, but that's how things are. Should I receive a package in the mail, there are only two 15-minute slots each day during which I can pick them up. And the time-slots aren't consistent throughout the week either.

Also, some professors are so busy you have to talk to their assistants and setup an appointment. I was once told the next available appointment for one of my professors was over two weeks away! To be fair, the upcoming week was "excursion week" for the mechanical engineering department. The professor does have office hours for each course he teaches but these are very busy. I've been lucky to only be in small classes where the professors stay back after class to take individual questions. Otherwise student tutors are your best bet.

I had a rough idea of what I was going to write about on this post today but it ended up being about something totally different! Oh well...

3 comments:

Skz said...

i know you made the most of your stay in germany! as you spent the last few months i m sure you will have fun :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am Shirish, a reporter at the Kathmandu Post, and am doing a feature for the Saturday special on Blogging. The piece will come on 29th August, 09. I read your blog at, and was wondering if you could be so kind as to answer some of my queries. I cannot guarantee that you will be quoted, but your help will definitely let the readers know more of blogging in Nepal.

You may answer all, or any question you feel like answering. You may provide any extra information, and your name, real or an ID, but must understand that you may be quoted by the Post. Please mail your answers to shirishp@wlink.com.np

What is your occupation?

What age group do you think you fall in: <16, 16-31, 31-49, 49-65, above 65?

Why do you blog?

When did you start blogging from? Why?

What makes you keep blogging, without any strong incentive?

How many bloggers do you think are there in Nepal?

Do you regularly read other bloggers? How many, and how many are Nepali?

Do you believe that a blog can really make a difference? If yes, How?

I hope the questions are not too bothersome.

Happy Writing!

-Shirish

Anonymous said...

I ADAMS KEVIN, a representative Aiico Insurance plc, we trust and respect for individual differences in day out a loan. We will provide 2% of the loan's interest rate. If you are interested in this business contact us by e-mail: (adams.credi@gmail.com) now transfer their loan documents issued properly. Do you need a loan to set up business or school if you are very welcome to Aiico Insurance plc. You can also contact us by e-mail: (adams.credi@gmail.com). We first week can request a balance transfer.

DO YOU NEED LOAN FOR PERSONAL BUSINESS? IF YOU CONTACT YOUR EMAIL ABOVE TO PROCEED WITH YOUR LOAN TRANSFER IMMEDIATELY OK.